Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Making Choices

Was reading through parts of 1 Corinthians and saw a little chart in the commentary that I thought was really cool. Here's what it said:

If I choose one course of action:

1) does it help my witness for Christ? (9:19-22)
2) am I motivated by a desire to help others to know Christ? (9:23; 10:33)
3) does it help me do my best? (9:25)
4) is it against a specific command in Scripture and would thus cause me to sin? (10:12)
5) is it the best and most benefitial course of action? (10:23, 33)
6) am I thinking only of myself, or do I truly care about the other person? (10:24)
7) am I acting lovingly or selfishly? (10:28-31)
8) does it glorify God? (10:31)
9) will it cause someone else to sin? (10:32)

I know we make all sorts of peripheral decisions everyday that have no eternal bearing: what to eat, what restaurant to pick, what color should I paint my toenails, which brand of hair products to buy, what store to purchase deoderant, etc. But as women, there are other decisions we make that are a bit weightier: what kind of clothing should I be wearing, how should I act around men, should I gossip with the girls at work, do I cave to peer pressure so I fit in, do I make decisions without discussing it first with my husband, should I work or stay home, what extra curricular things should I get involved in, how do I use my money, etc..

We as Christians shouldn't look like the world because the world is following "self" and the "flesh"... not God. Not that we should stick out like a sore thumb on purpose, but we shouldn't do as the world does without carefully examining it against Scripture. We sorta got on a rant about feminism not too long ago and all the freedoms that we as women have been granted. Yes, feminism has given us options and choices as women, but as Christian women, we need to thoroughly question those freedoms to see if it's "ok" in the Bible.

Take working outside the home, for example. No where in Scripture does it say, "Thou woman, must not worketh outsideth the home, but stayeth ye home; only bearing and raising children". So, what do we do now that our options are so diverse? I REALLY like this list of questions because it can help us as we make hard decisions. If working outside the home is a decision you're facing, between your husband and you, start asking yourselves these questions: does working outside the home help my witness for Christ? Am I motivated by a desire to help others know Christ? Does it help me do my best? Is it against a specific command in Scripture and would thus cause me to sin? Is it the best and most benefitial course of action? Am I thinking only of myself, or do I truly care about the other people involved? Am I acting lovingly or selfishly? Does it glorify God? Will it cause someone else to sin? Etc. After answering yes or no to these questions, pray. Then listen to the Lord. He'll lead you.

Ask yourselves these questions anytime you need to make a difficult decision. Then wait on the Lord to reveal what you should do. If we're truly seeking His face and waiting upon Him for answers, He will be faithful in leading and guiding us.

No comments: