Thursday, December 07, 2006

What to do, what to do...

All of my life, through school, through extra curricular activities, through work, etc. I have been told what to do, when to do, and how to do pretty much everything. That is, until I became a stay-at-home wife & mom. Believe me, I LOVE having the freedom, BUT... sometimes the freedom is overwhelming.

American people seem to love having the "have it your way" sort of lifestyle, complete with a never-ending supply of options.
But me?... I get overwhelmed in the cosmetic department. My mind swirls when standing in the pad/tampon aisle. Don't even ask me to go to ACE hardware to pick up screws or nails! Forget it! I like having a few options, but more than 5 or 6 and I start having heart palpitations.

Hence part of my dilemma. What do I do during the day?. The choices are near limitless.

Now, I'm a firm believer of routines and schedules and chore charts... but there's still too much freedom for me, I guess. I'm overwhelmed with the options. I'd do better if someone was over me saying "this, this, and this need to get done by 10am and then at 4pm there's mandatory outdoor recess for the kids for 30min.s, etc.". But I'M the boss. I'M the one planning out the days for the kids and I. Maybe I'm having trouble prioritizing. Perhaps I've fallen into the whole "I can get to that later" sort of stinkin' thinkin'. Whatever it is, I feel like I'm batting at the air, with no real direction. Kid's ask, "can I color?" and I think, "sure, why not? Can't think of anything else you should be doing".

Does anyone else feel like this? Or am I in left-field all by myself? How do you other wives and mom's plan your days? Do you have any good resources I could get my hands on that would help me get my days better planned/scheduled? What SHOULD I be doing during any given day?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Mel, I am dealing with the SAME THING. When I was in HS/college/year afer college, my life was BUSY BUSY--lots of structure. Now that I am staying home I have none of that and I have felt so discouraged lately. Time management has been a huge struggle for me for the last year and a half. I don't feel like I've made any progress--one step forward and one (or two) step back. There is no shortage of things for me to do...I just am lazy and selfish and don't manage to get any of them accomplished. then, like you, I start to feel overwhelmed.

I don't have any advice or solutions...just wanted to say that no, you are definitely not alone.

Mel said...

I guess it's accountability I need, or something. When at school or work, there were real and unpleasant consequences for not staying on task or completing requirements. At home, there's no one or nothing holding me accountable. It's not like I can get a pay-cut or get fired or sent to detention. I know preschools and daycares are very structured... but that's different then a home environment where there's chores, errands to run, bills to pay and food to prepare. I can't look at those places and use them as a blueprint for my home routine. Very frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Once your children are homeschooled, more structure will be forced on them by nature of the schoolwork. Of course, if your children must be structured, you must be also as their instructor.

I don't have any magic formulas for you in the meantime; only, pray for wisdom at the start of each day, and that God will direct your steps as you direct the children.

- Rebekah