Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ask Dr. Gott

Many of you are familiar with Dr. Gott's column in your local newspaper. He recently published a book entitled "No Flour, No Sugar". The basic gist of the book is that any refined flours or sugars should be eliminated from our diets as much as possible. It's not the "low-carb" diet that was the fad not too long ago because you can/should eat carbs... albeit healthy/natural carbs from veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Dr. Gott calls it a lifestyle. So, you can eat corn, popcorn, corn chips, peas, potatoes, apples, pineapples, millet, oatmeal, brown & wild rice, etc. because those are natural carb foods. But anything with refined flours/sugars or even raw sugars should be avoided. I've heard a lot of positive things about a new sweetner called Stevia. I think I'll look into it. My in-laws have been following Dr. Gott's dietary advice and in one week, my FIL lost 8 lbs!!! Here goes... I'm going to try it. And then maybe just maybe I can shed the remainder of these last 10 lbs of stubborn baby weight. ;-)

1 comment:

serina said...

I really love stevia. I've used it as a sweetener since I went on the Fat Flush Plan before getting pregnant with Ellery. It tastes really great with some things (berries, smoothies) and not-so-great with others (coffee, blech). It has a unique sweetness that I've gotten used to, but you have to be careful what you sweeten it with.

Also, you only have to use the teenies (and I mean *teeniest*) bit to sweeten things with it.

We do eat wheat flour, but it's whole grain that we ground ourselves. We've done really well eliminating white sugar, for the most part, over the past several years.