Friday, May 04, 2007

Tearing down your house

I found this excerpt from a weblog a while back. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I found this or who penned it. Anyways, it has been a huge reality check for me as a wife and mom. Thought I would share it with you ladies. May it motivate you to be a "wise woman".

"The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands."
-Proverbs 14:1

In what ways can we tear down our own homes?:

-Do I nag to get people to respond to me?

-Am I raising my voice continuously to my family?

-Am I respecting my husband's authority?

-How about honoring him?

-Are my children being disciplined consistently to bring about peaceful coexistence?

-Do I share my husband's faults with others?

-Am I quick to overlook my husband's faults?

-Do I spend time in the Word, daily, seeking God's wisdom and strength?

-Am I striving to be gentle and kind to my family?

-Am I serving my family to the best of my ability?

-Time... am I using it well?

-Am I argumentative most the time?

-Am I ill-natured? Do I find fault with most everything?

-Am I trying to make my home a place without discord? Being harmonious instead?

-Are my children being encouraged to seek God?

-How much time do I spend being angry?

-Do my children know that I love them? Have I told them? Shown them?

-Does my husband know that I love him? Have I told him? Shown him?

-How is my overall attitude?

-Do I spend time whining about circumstances?

-Do I strive to be good-natured?

-Do I complain too much?

-Are the Fruits of the Spirit evident in my life? Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control?

...

We need to recognize sin for what it is, repent and ask God to help us gain victory in the area we each struggle in. We need to also ask our families for forgiveness as well. If we do not have self-control over these areas we will continue to tear down our homes. Join with me in the pursuit of building up our homes not tearing them down.

No comments: