Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Journey to Contentment (Part I)

Wow... I can't believe how long it's been since I last posted here! Let me tell you, though, these past few months have been packed with much spiritual growth. What I want to share with you here in the next few weeks (perhaps months) has been my walk into Biblical contentment. If you are interested, please walk with me.

In an earlier posting (April 7- "Cool Things II"), I had discussed a huge turn of events concerning my mothering. As I continue walking the path of healing and maturing, God has been teaching so much, especially in regard to contentment and peace.

About a month ago, I sort of hit a crossroads in my walk with God. I was really wanting to step forward and get into the meat of Christianity (so to speak) and was really feeling the Lord leading me to pursue a Titus 2 mentoring relationship with an older woman. Someone to teach me, encourage me, rebuke me, pray for me, and to keep me accountable. God so very faithfully led me to a wise and mature woman, Sherry C. We have just recently started to meet regularly and it has already been a tremendous blessing. Together, we are starting to work through a book entitled "Calm my Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. If you have never read it, it is a MUST READ.

Here are some of the insights that I have received in reading her book:

*Prescription for contentment:
1- never allow yourself to complain about anything- not even the weather
2- never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else
3- never compare your lot with another's
4- never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise
5- never dwell on tomorrow- remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours

These words were penned by a woman named Ella that worked with the pygmies in Africa for 52 years. She left all that was familiar and comfortable. No electricity. No air conditioning. No modern conveniences. Sometimes the heat reached 120F+. Yet in all of her discomfort, she found contentment and peace in God.

I must say, I hear this woman's testimony and am ashamed at how I can complain about so many things in my life.

Complaining seems to be a deep-seated issue for me. My two closest companions in life (RD and Rebekah M.) have both, on numerous occasions, rebuked me for complaining. Why am I so discontented?...

Perspective. Webster defines it as: looking through; seeing clearly; the capacity to view things in their true relation of relative importance". A way of seeing. An eternal perspective, then, is God's way of seeing. When we have God's perspective, we view our lives and evaluate what is important from His perspective.

THAT'S why I have a discontented spirit... I do not have an eternal perspective. I focus on the circumstances surrounding me rather than on God.

More to come...

No comments: