Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Homemade Apple Pie

This time of year simply screams for apple pies to be made!!!
Here's our family classic!
(See Sat. 10-18-08 entry for recipe)

The filling:

Make sure and use ICE COLD water for crust.
I cheat and use my KitchenAid mixer for the dough. It is sooooo much faster than cutting it in by hand.
The crust is ready to be rolled out when it cleans the sides of the bowl.
I just use waxed paper.

Before adding the top crust, rub water along the edge of the bottom crust. It helps make a good seal.
I always dedicate my pies to my hubby. (My mom always did that for my dad.) Since he's Ralph the third, I used a Roman Numeral III.
Cut off the extra.
If you're amazing at rolling out pie dough (like my mom), there can be enough extra to make mini cinnamon rolls (butter, sugar, and cinnamon rolled up and sliced), but I'm not yet that talented.
Cook for 30 min. with a pie shield.
Can also use aluminum foil.
Remove foil for the remaining 15 min.s.
It's amazingly yummy!

4 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Yum! I need a pie shield. I am planning to make applesauce with my apples from the orchard, but if I have any extras, I will make this pie. :)

Cyndi said...

What a beautiful pie! I see you have Mom's gift of making them "pretty." Mine never "look" good - but they taste ok. I'm jealous! :)

Carmine said...

I envy your crust-making abilities! :) LOL

milcurtis said...

I use this recipe......never learned how my mom did it so some of my best recipes were "stolen" from Cyndi.......she taught me how to bake an apple pie according to your mom's recipe! :) YUM!