Saturday, November 29, 2008

Getting to know you... Christmas style

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I prefer gift bags simply because I am horrible at wrapping gifts.

2. Real tree or Artificial? When we actually have room for a tree, we'll use an artificial. As for now, we'll stick to our super cool fiber optic mini tree... and we'll enjoy everyone else's trees.

3. When do you put up the tree? Ordinarily, Christmas stuff doesn't come out until after Thanksgiving. For some reason I couldn't wait. Our stuff's been out about 2 weeks already.

4. When do you take the tree down? Sometime after the New Year

5. Do you like eggnog? Not really. I prefer spiced hot cider and hot cocoa with mini marshmallows.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Cabbage Patch Kid dolls and legos sets

7. Hardest person to buy for? The person that buys things whenever they want... so they already have everything.

8. Easiest person to buy for? My children.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Not yet, but someday...

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Snail mail, of course

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Christmas '01... I remember it vividly. RD and I were already "unofficially engaged" and so, I was totally expecting a ring for Christmas. Sure enough, there was a small little gift bag from a local jeweler under his parent's tree... and it had MY name on it!!! I knew what I was getting! Christmas day came, all the family was gathered round, and RD excitedly handed me my jeweler bag... he was literally grinning from ear to ear. This was it! This was the blessed moment I'd anticipated all my life!!! As I cautiously pulled the tissue paper out... heart racing... I pulled out... I pulled out a... a set of yellow rubber dishwashing gloves?! WHAT?! RD explained that I had been complaining about the dish water drying my hands out, so he bought some for me. If his family hadn't been there, I would have socked him a good one. Instead, I about cried. He had other stuff to give me besides the gloves... but the bleak memory of NOT getting a ring... and getting yellow dish gloves instead... tainted my memory of whatever else I received that year. His excuse for using a jeweler bag was that he couldn't find anything else small enough to hold the gloves. Whatever! It was all in good jest... and he made up for it on January 9th, 2002... when I really DID get a ring at an unsuspecting time. It's funny now.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The one with Ralphie in it... what was that? A Christmas Story?...

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? We started back in late summer.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes... and I will never tell who or what.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Oreo truffles, ham

16. Lights on the tree? Yes. Lots! "Would you like a bit of tree with them there lights?"

17. Favorite Christmas songs? The crazy Christmas CD my friend Kris made

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? RD and I's family swap Thanksgiving and Christmas with our families... so it really depends on the year. But yes, almost always we travel.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Yes

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? star

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve? No

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Obligatory gifts

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? silver & blue

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Ham

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? For my kids to understand that Christmas isn't about getting gifts... but about Jesus. He is the best gift we could ever receive!

No comments: