Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Treasuring God's Word


Lately, I have been deeply burdened in my heart to "teach diligently" the words of Scripture to my children. Granted, we are busy each week with AWANA verses. We'll also sometimes read and discuss the Bible during school. And each night before bedtime, RD will pray and read a chapter from Catherine Vos' children's story Bible to our children. But as I have been meditating on the words of Deuteronomy 6:4-9, I've been impressed with the thought that Scripture shouldn't just be something to be scheduled into "schooltime" or "bedtime" or "church time". Rather, it is to be a lifestyle, something to be lived all throughout the day. That home should be a classroom where God's Word is lovingly and perpetually before the children...

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (English Standard Version)

4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. 5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

1 comment:

ReaganF said...

I hear you! I'm still learning (and will be for my whole life, I think) what it means to love my God with my whole heart, mind, soul, and strength. It is a lifestyle to love God the way He tells us to do in Deut! It's a journey for me to love God that way, and my children are along for the ride!

PS I think it sounds like you and RD are doing a fantastic job of integrating the Bible and it's teachings into your kids' daily lives. By doing the teaching at 'the scheduled times' you will be surprised how many conversations about God and Jesus will pop up throughout your normal day. Riley is asking all kinds of neat questions these days, and it's so fun to talk to her about the Bible stories and how they relate to her day to day life!