Monday, March 09, 2009

Raw milk

RD and I've been doing our research and finally decided to try out some raw milk. We've heard from so many sources about the many health benefits. We've also read a lot on what all you can make with raw milk (kefir, buttermilk, butter, cream cheese, yogurt, etc.). So finally, out of sheer curiosity, we contacted a local dairy farmer about getting a sample. We were given a gallon. It lasted... one day. Ha! It was SO GOOD! We are already accustomed to 2% and vitamin D, so it really wasn't that much thicker. Honestly, it didn't taste too different than store bought. A little thicker and little richer. The kids especially loved it because it came "straight from a cow". LOL.


I pulled out a quart to culture into cream cheese and whey. We've read that whey is really good for indigestion and upset stomachs. And we LOVE cream cheese over here! All you have to do is leave it on the counter for 1-4 days until the milk separates. Then you drain out the whey by laying a handtowel over a strainer and pouring the milk out onto it. Carefully, without squeezing, tie the towel of milk solids around a wooden spoon that's hanging over a bowl to catch the remaining whey drips. Once fully separated, the milk solids are your cream cheese. It can be stored in the refrigerater for up to 1 month. They whey can stay in the refrigerater for up to 6 months. For upset stomachs and indigestion, drink 1 tbl. of whey (in a cup of water). Can be done up to 3x/day.

Here's my quart of culturing milk. It'll be ready Thursday! I'll post process pics!!!

4 comments:

Kendra said...

That's so cool. So, I was wondering if it's pasteurized? The raw milk that I got didn't taste like store bought at all. I really would have to get used to it. I was just wondering...
If you could get some with the cream on it, you could make some butter, and buttermilk too! That's fun to do :)

MelissaD said...

I don't think it was pasteurized. They said it was straight from the cow. I wonder if what the cows eat affects the flavor of it's milk... I'll ask the farmer what he feeds his cows next time I pick up a gallon.

Cyndi said...

"Grass fed" is supposed to be soooo much better for you than corn fed. So ask. I actually have a bunch of literature at home that a patient gave me about the benefits of raw milk. I've read some anectodtal stuff about it helping with eczema - so I've tried one gallon for Amara, but it is so hard for me to find the time to go get it!

Anonymous said...

Did you see the milk house before you got the milk from the farmer (or do you know if he sells his milk to be resold as milk - and not as yogurt, cheese or something else?) My FIL is a dairy farmer and his milk is purchased for milk. This means he keeps his milk parlor at the highest level of sanitation. His neighbor is also a dairy farmer and has a disgusting milk house and his is purchased for other products that won't suffer if they are heavily pasteurized.

I'm all for raw milk, but I know that not every dairy farmer has high standards of cleanliness. If you know his milk is resold as milk, then you should be fine.

Also, if you can also get some cream to use for whipped cream, here's a tip - it will whip up best when it's a couple days old. I don't know why but we keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days and it whips up much better.