Sunday, September 27, 2009

It makes sense now...

I'm just going to be completely honest with you... I have been absolutely MISERABLE with this pregnancy. By far, this has been the most difficult pregnancy to date. And yesterday, I found out why...

Gall Bladder.

*sigh*

Beyond having the normal aches and pains/nausea and vomiting of a normal pregnancy, my symptoms have been exacerbated by having gall bladder issues. I've been having shooting pains in my abdomen, usually spurred on by something I ate: meatballs, Chinese food, fried chicken, fast food, etc. On top of that, bloating (I look like I'm like 4-5 months pregnant), terrible flatulence, and unusual BM's (TMI?). I usually feel fine in the morning/early afternoons because I eat bland foods like cereal, apples, soup, etc. But come evening, I want to eat something with a little more zing. Unfortunately, I pay for that "zing". Ugh. It's horrible. The worst night was this past Friday night. I was doubled over in pain crying. My husband sent me to bed and praise God I was able to sleep.

Yesterday morning, I starting doing research on the internet about severe pain in early pregnancy~ and everything I read said it was not normal. At first, I was thinking cysts on my ovaries or something. Several of my good friends have had those and they were terribly uncomfortable. But my symptoms didn't quite match those for cysts. Then I saw a little link to gall bladder... and then it hit me... Pretty much everyone on my mom's side of the family has had problems with their gall bladder. It's hereditary. It was inevitable. It was either going to be me or my sister...

So anyways, after doing research on gall bladder and putting the pieces together from my own experience, I called my midwife to see what she thought. She's pretty convinced it's gall bladder as well. Actually, I may have had gall bladder problems for a while, but because of this pregnancy, I have very high levels of progesterone surging through my body and it can further irritate the gall bladder. My pregnancy has actually been a huge blessing already because I've been able to detect my problem (hopefully) before it gets really bad and requires surgery.

At this point, we're going to try and take care of things naturally and herbally:
-Yellow Dock herbal supplements (aids in liver/gall bladder function)
-fresh lemon in my water (lemon juice softens stones)
-400 units of vitamin E daily (on top of what's in my prenatals)
-liquid chlorophyll (digestive detoxifier)
-bland diet
-once the baby's born, we'll look into gall bladder cleanses

Pleeeease be praying that my symptoms decrease and that surgery is not required. Obviously, if we can't kick it naturally, we'll have to go and see a doctor. I just do NOT want surgery (if it can be avoided). Hopefully we caught the issue before it's too bad.

Just thought you'd like an update on how things are going. We'd really covet your prayers!

3 comments:

B,P,R,S & L said...

I had my gallbladder out a couple weeks before I got pregnant with daughter #2 because I had been having problems for 1.5 years. I couldn't figure out how to have the issues. I was always having them, no matter what I ate. I am so thankful I had it out when I did. The surgery was very, very quick, and it was only 2 days before I felt completely normal. If you have to do it, I wouldn't be worried about it.

ReaganF said...

Oh Mel! How awful! You are definitely in my prayers! I hope that you are able to get your symptoms under control as soon as possible!

Michelle M. said...

Mel, I am so sorry to hear this. I will definitely be praying for you! Please let us know what happens in the future. Sending my love!