Friday, November 13, 2009

Pictureless readers?


As I am currently trying to teach our 1st grader and our kindergartener phonics/how to read, I find it extremely frustrating that all of their readers have illustrations. What I'm finding is that my children are trying to read me the story from the pictures rather than from the words. Grrrr. As an experiment, I re-wrote a reader onto a blank piece of paper and had them read through it... and it worked tremendously!!! I just don't want to keep on doing that! Surely there have to be some pictureless readers out there that I can use for our children. Do you ladies know of any?

3 comments:

B,P,R,S & L said...

I don't know of any, but I do know that when we went to the kindergarten orientation at our oldest daughter's school this year, they explained to us how important it is for the kids to first read through a story using the pictures to get an idea of what's going on in the book. It also helps with their imagination, how they learn to develop their own stories. After they've gone through and "read" the stories using the pictures, you asking, what doing you think is happening on this page?, then you can go back and put something over the pictures to start focusing on the words. I hope this helps. :) I was never taught how to teach someone to read, except read music, since my degree is K-12 music ed, so I found this information very helpful. I have absolutely no recollection of learning how to read.

Cyndi said...

I love the Pathway readers that we got for Amara. They are like an Amish version of the Dick and Jane books. They don't have many pictures (one ever 4 or 5 pages maybe?) and the stories are actually really good! These are for "first grade" but Amara is reading them now in Kindergarten. We've finished the first one if you'd like to borrow it. Here is the link to where I bought them: http://www.timberdoodle.com/Pathway_Readers_First_Grade_Set_p/480-015.htm

MelissaD said...

Cyndi-

Yes yes yes! We'd love to borrow the first book. I'd also asked the ladies from one of my mommy Yahoo! groups about pictureless readers and hands down everyone raved about the Pathway's. Can you bring it to church tomorrow?