Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tiramisu

I've never made this before. But my mother-in-law swears that if your make guests your guinea pigs it'll turn out right every time. So far this line of thinking hasn't failed me yet! I made this last night for a a get together we had with a sweet family we know. It's so cool because they have kids around the same age as ours (and they are very well behaved), momma is pregnant with #5 also (just a couple weeks behind me), we are like-minded in many areas, and having a house full of children is a joy to them. Oftentimes I wonder if people get nervous or something when they see our size of family and so decline having fellowship together. I'm not complaining, just noticing a pattern. So, we end up doing a lot of entertaining at our home- which has truly cultivated a heart of joyful hospitality in our family! It's a breath of fresh air to visit a family that whips out some extra chairs and booster seats with ease and loves to have a full table...

Anyways, onto the recipe!
I soooo wish we had a big glass bowl to put this in. It would have been so pretty. As our family continues to grow, I am becoming more and more aware that we are needing to purchase bigger pots, bowls, and the like. ;-)

Tiramisu
-Serves: 16
-Prep time: 20 min.s
-Refrigerate: at least 2 hours before serving

1 pkg. cream cheese, softened
3 cups cold milk
2 pkg. (4 serving size each) instant vanilla pudding
3 cups whipped topping, thawed, divided
48 vanilla wafers
1/2 cup brewed strong coffee, cooled, divided
2 squares semi-sweet Bakers chocolate squares, coarsely grated
1 cup raspberries (fresh or thawed)
Beat cream cheese in large bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in milk. Add dry pudding mixes and mix well. Stir in 2 cups whipped topping. Place 24 vanilla wafers in a 2-1/2 qt. bowl; drizzle with half of the coffee. Top with half each of the pudding mixture and chocolate. Repeat all layers. Top with remaining whipped topping and fruit. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
How to easily grate chocolate: Unwrap chocolate squares, leaving each square on paper wrapper. Microwave on HIGH 10 sec., then grate with the largest hole of a cheese shredder.

*We think this would also be good with chocolate pudding.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michelle and her husband made a bowtie pasta dish, which was simple and awesome. My entire family devoured it. Got the recipe so I'll be sharing it here soon. :-) They also made gooey buttery garlic bread. Mmmmm.

Arianna and I also made a loaded salad, which is called a Killer Salad in our home. Lettuce, spinach, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, hard boiled eggs, chopped lunch meat, etc. It was so good. And I just love having Arianna help me out in the kitchen. She is really getting good at it. It will be so fun seeing her mature as a cook!

At a Pampered Chef party I recently attended, I purchased their safety cutter for kids. I can't wait for it to come in so Arianna can start cutting things with me!

*As far as salads are concerned, wanna know what our family's favorite dressing is (besides my house oil & vinegar)? We pour a little bit of Ranch and then pour a little bit of Italian, then toss. It's awesome! Gives it a bite!

2 comments:

Michelle M. said...

I think we are getting to that same point, too, because we have more children than most of our friends who are the same age as we.

That is an interested Tiramisu recipe :) Definitely not what this Italian girl is used to, but it does sound good.

Anonymous said...

For the tiramisu: don't you have a pretty glass bowl in your crock pot cabinet? Either that or your cake plate/parfait dish on top of the cabinets. That looks like a yummy recipe!

- Rebekah