Tuesday, December 01, 2009

From our kitchen

Not too long ago I sat down and read through the ingredients list on my favorite dressings and:
1) I could hardly pronounce most of the ingredients listed
2) was highly disappointed to see things like MSG and many other fake/man-made/processed things
So... I am on a quest to find homemade dressings, where the ingredients are real.
Here are a few that I made this week.

Oil & Vinegar:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp Dijon honey mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
Mix & store in fridge for up to 1 month.

Ranch Dressing:
5 Tbls dried minced onion
7 tsp parsley flakes
4 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
Mix & store in air tight container.

For dressing: mix 2 Tbls dry mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream (I use buttermilk).

For dip: mix 2 Tbls dry mix with 2 cups sour cream.

Mix up a few hours before serving so the flavors blend.

Buttermilk:
2 cups whole milk
2 Tbls white vinegar or lemon juice (I use vinegar)
(half's and double's/triple's nicely)
*you can also substitute 1-1/2 Tbls of cream of tartar for vinegar/lemon juice*
Heat milk in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar, lemon juice, or cream of tartar and let stand at room temperature for 15-20 mins. Milk will curdle a bit. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Tonight, I'm going to make homemade Blue Cheese Dressing for the buffalo wings we've got planned for dinner. Mmmmm.

-----------------------------------------------------------
More farm fresh eggs!!! I love all the different colors. My kids were enthralled with the green one.

10 comments:

prayzgod said...

I like the greenish bluish egg. Farm eggs are great - such variety. I like that too. :-)

ReaganF said...

OK so I made an oil and vinegar dressing similar to yours the other day and put it in the fridge and the oil hardened and separated to the top. It was pretty gross. Any suggestions on keeping the dressing from doing that in the fridge?

Cyndi said...

Do you think the ranch would turn out as well if I left out the yucky mayo?? I hate the MSG-rash that the kids get if the ranch actually touches their face - but they love it on veggies! And how long would it last in the fridge?? A week or two??

MelissaD said...

Reagan-
Hmmm. Maybe your refrigerator runs really cool??? Your dressing is probably fine- just take it out about 5 minutes before serving and the oil should melt. I've got some garlic oil in our fridge that does that, but it melts very quickly in room temperature.

Cyndi-
The rash is because of MSG?! All our kids get that same exact thing! Also, not sure if you could cut out the mayo and have it taste right. I promise, though, you can't taste it. I suppose you could try using sour cream instead??? And since it's got buttermilk in it, it'd probably be good for about 2 weeks in the fridge. One batch only makes 2 cups of dressing, so, if you guys are anything like us, it won't even have a chance to go bad because it will get eaten so quickly.

MelissaD said...

Reagan-
I just looked at my oil & vinegar dressing in the fridge this morning and mine did the same thing as yours. Ha! It's fine.

Sandra Leigh said...

that gives a whole new meaning to green eggs and ham

Cyndi said...

I think it is the MSG. Ranch is the only thing I buy that contains it. (And I remember Jackie saying once that Ranch was the only item at her restaurant that contained MSG too). I'm curious to try this - I have some sour cream at home....

MelissaD said...

Cyndi-
Let me know how it turns out with sour cream.

Jamie said...

Ok - the ranch tasted really good made with one cup sour cream and one cup buttermilk - but it was so runny we couldn't scoop it up with a carrot. So I'm going to marinade some chicken in it and try again with 1 1/2 cup sour cream to 1/2 cup buttermilk. I'll let you know how that turns out!

MelissaD said...

Cyndi-
Ours was runny, too, but it works fine. Wonder if there's a way to thicken it up a bit?