Sunday, March 28, 2010

Diluting


I was asked just today, actually, about how much juice and milk we go through in any given week. The ladies I was with made the natural assumption that we must go through a ton because of our family size. They were shocked to discover that we only go through about 2 gallons of milk/1 large jug of juice a week. That's including both consumption and baking.

How do we do it?

We dilute.

I've always cut juice almost in half with water ever since we started having children. We didn't have a whole lot of money when we first got married and starting having babies so I scrimped wherever I could. After a while, it became habit. Our kids don't know the difference because it's all they've ever known.

It's only been recently that I've started diluting our milk. I got the idea from New Life on a Homestead. At our Aldi store, the price for 2% (our usual) is identical to the price of whole/vitamin D milk (approx. $2.09/gallon). So I simply started purchasing vitamin D milk and diluting it (almost in half) for both consumption and baking purposes. NO ONE'S noticed the difference!

2 comments:

Cn8dnchick said...

Good for you! The juice is probably MUCH BETTER for the kids being diluted a half anyway because of the sugar. And it's a great way to save money!

Michelle M. said...

I read about this on her blog, too. I've always diluted juice, but I, personally, do not like the way milk tastes diluted. Maybe that is because I am diluting skim. So I should probably purchase 1 or 2% and try that. I think rather than diluting, I would rather just like my husband and kids to drink more water. That would fulfill the same purpose (as far as drinking is concerned), right?