Sunday, March 28, 2010

Eating Real (next project)


On our quest to "Eating Real", we are looking into preparing LARGE batches of Cream of Mushroom Soup and freezing them in can-sized packages (10.5 oz) for recipes and cooking. We go through this stuff like crazy!!! But after looking at the ingredients list on a typical can, we've decided to just make our own from scratch.

One thing I've noticed about our Kroger store is that you can almost regularly get organic "I'm on my last leg" packages of mushrooms CHEAPER than the sale priced regular 'shrooms. There's nothing wrong with them other than the fact they need to used pronto or they'll spoil. Which is just fine for our purposes....

2 comments:

Michelle M. said...

I've found that my Kroger has a lot of organic produce for cheaper than non-organic, especially the oranges. Definitely compare before you purchase.

ReaganF said...

I was just saying to Jim that I need to just make my own soups instead of buying canned (and just freeze or can them myself in my pressure cooker). They are so easy in the crock pot! Let me know if you find a cream of mushroom recipe that you love!