Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nettle Infusions

Lately, I've been drinking nettle infusions, my daily multivitamin in liquid form. This stuff is JAM-PACKED with nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and protein! And because this is plant-derived it is SO much more easily absorbed and utilized by our bodies than a pill.

Here's how I prepare mine:

1- Measure out 1 oz. of dried nettle herb. (I purchase mine in bulk from Bulk Herb Store and/or Mountain Rose Herbs.)

2- Place in a quart sized canning jar.

3- Pour and fill jar with boiling hot water.

4- Let steep for 4-8 hours. (I usually prepare mine the night before and let it set overnight.)

5- Strain herbs out. (Compost!)

6- Drink at preferred temperature (heated, chilled, or room temp).

Viola!

I'm not going to lie. It tastes pretty grassy. But everything I read says it's an acquired taste that you learn to appreciate and love. I can vouch that it gets more palatable the more you drink it. Try it and enjoy nourishing your body the natural, healthy way!!!

2 comments:

Cn8dnchick said...

Interesting! I enjoy reading about your holistic and alternative herbal remedies. Good post! Are you still drinking the nettle infusion?

MelissaD said...

I really wish I could muscle past the gag reflex. It's SO hard to drink this. It tastes SO grassy. Perhaps I should try it with a bit of spearmint to cut the bad taste...