Thursday, August 19, 2010

Adventures in "Gluten-Free"

Taco Salad with corn chips.
*Homemade taco seasoning- a lot of commercial packet seasonings will have gluten.*

Meat Roll-Ups
(Deli meat, pepperoni, sprouts, and mustard)

Pepper Steak over brown rice & sauteed squash
(This particular batch of squash was cooked in oil & seasoned with steak seasoning.)

(crockpot) Pot Roast w/ potatoes and carrots & salad (w/ homemade Ranch dressing)

Chili over rice
(I load ours up with lots of beans! We like it hearty!)

Gluten Free store purchase from today!
-corn taco shells
-Nut Thins crackers
-baked beans
-xantham gum
-pancake/waffle mix
-arrowroot powder
-flax seed meal
-brown rice flour
-tapioca starch
-potato starch
These flours and starches are needed to blend together and make an "all-purpose flour" for baking:
Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca starch or tapioca flour. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it’ll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).
~From King Arthur's blog

Arrowroot is used as a thickener.
Flax seed meal is used for making breads.
Xanthan gum adds volume, viscosity, and thickening to baking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At our local Kroger I saw they have 3 flavors of gluten-free Chex: rice, corn, and honey nut!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Now that I have my flours and starches, I can't WAIT to try baking with them and actually have a slice of bread!!! I haven't had anything bread-ish in about 2 months!

I cannot tell you enough HOW MUCH BETTER I feel after having cut out gluten from my diet. It has made a incredible difference!

My youngest daughter, Cassandra, has always had some digestive issues. So yesterday I started her on the gluten free lifestyle. I can already tell a difference (less gas!- that's always a plus!).

1 comment:

Michelle M. said...

This looks a lot like our low gylcemic diet. I'm glad that you have figured out what your issues were. I'm sure it has life much more pleasant.