Friday, August 20, 2010

What to do?

I declare! Boredom is such a nuisance. It leads to all sorts of trouble.

Now, I'M not the one who's bored...
(how COULD I be with 4 kids 7 and under?!)

It's my kids.

I've tried explaining that their purpose here on life is NOT to be entertained, played with, or to constantly "have fun". I truly believe God desires us to work! Play comes afterward.

Here's lies the rub: with all our modern-day "conveniences" there's really very little "work" to be done. Sure there's the endless loads of laundry, the making of the beds, the emptying of the dishwasher... but beyond that, machines do all the rest of the work. Which leaves room for a lot of boredom, at least from my kids' perspective.

I try desperately to keep them busy, but seriously there's only so much that they can do! It's not like we've got wheat fields to harvest, cows to milk, massive garden's to tend, and houses to construct from scratch!

We've been reading through the Little House series (currently finishing up On the Banks of Plum Creek) and it simply amazes me to read what Mary and Laura were doing for their Ma and Pa! They were what, 9 and 7?!

But life's not like that anymore...

How do I keep them busy and helping me?

I'll tell you what, behavior problems rise up with a vengeance when boredom strikes.

Anyone got any ideas?

No comments: