Friday, May 20, 2011

Do you know?...

I want joy.
A happiness that remains regardless of my shifting circumstances.

I want a gentle and quiet spirit.
A heart that is fastened tightly to the Lord.

I want the Fruit of the Spirit.
A sweetness of spirit that is overflowing, uncontainable.

I want peace.
A peace that surpasses all understanding.

I want patience.
A gracious long-suffering and ability to forgive others.
-------------------------------------------------------------
How can this happen?
Is this attainable?
Will this ever manifest within me?

This will only happen by knowing God.
Not just knowing about Him: being filled with factoids, theory, and doctrine.

But KNOWING Him.

I liken it to knowing my husband.
If I only spent 1 hr with him a week, how could I ever claim to know him?
I know my husband because I call him, text him, talk with him, laugh with him, share with him, think about him, pray for him, etc. Not just once a week. But every day!!!
To be honest, I probably don't go even an hour without thinking about my husband. Our lives are so meshed, intertwined, and integrated.
I truly love him because I KNOW him.

This is an earthly snapshot of what our relationship can, and should, be like with our Lord and Savior.

This connectedness with God is the only way we can truly and fully experience joy, peace, and patience. It's the only way we can attain the Fruit of the Spirit and that gentle and quiet spirit. It will be a natural outpouring from our blossoming and deepening relationship with Him. It's not a thing we "try" to be. It won't be a "fake it till ya make it" thing either. It will simply and purely become who you are!

Will it require effort and hard work? Of course!
Using my above marriage illustration: Marriage takes effort! It requires a heck of a lot of hard work!
Relationships, in general, always do.

But it'll be worth it...

This is my earthly pursuit... I want to KNOW GOD!
I want to be conformed into the image of Christ.

May it be yours as well.

Seek Him.
Know Him.
Allow Him to change you!
There is hope.

1 comment:

Sandra Leigh said...

So glad to see you posting again. I miss your blog. I love all your posts about mothering, gardening, cooking, remedies, etc. I'd love to hear more about how you do homeschooling too.
Blessings to you!!!!